The F-4E variant was an improved version of the C/D with an elongated nose and compact radar. These two things made it possible to install a 20mm M61A1 6 barrel 640 round Vulcan gun pod in the nose. The F-4E was the most produced variant with 1387 aircraft being made over its 12 year production period. The "E" also equipped more air forces than any other variant of the Phantom II.
F-4E Phantom II 67-0210 was first delivered to 33rd TFW / 4533rd TTS on July 9 1968 and in 1970 it was reassigned to the 4531st TFW at Homestead AFB. Over its career this aircraft was operated by no less than 10 various units. On June 2, 1972 while stationed with the 58thth TFS / 432nd TRW out of Udorn RTAB using callsign "Brenda 01" encountered a NVAF MiG-19 and engaged. After a brief pursuit the F-4 shot the MiG-19 down using its M61A1 machine gun. In 1987 the aircraft was transferred to Turkey.